Atarax exerts a bronchodilatory and antihistamine effect on the body. If taken in a therapeutic dose, the influence on the secretory and acid-forming functions does not occur.
It has an effective effect in the treatment of pruritus, allergic dermatitis, eczema, and urticaria. If the patient has impaired liver function, the duration of the antihistamine action is increased to 96 hours.
Sympatolytic, antispasmodic, mild analgesic effect is noted. After taking the drug, patients notice an increase in the total duration of the sleep period, a decrease in awakenings at night and their period, and a decrease in muscle tone. At the same time there is no memory impairment. Want to buy atarax online? Visit HelpingHand pharmacy!
Pharmacodynamics and parmacokinetics
The drug Atarax is absorbed in the digestive tract and quickly enters the blood. The highest concentration in the blood plasma is noted 2 hours after taking the pills. Oral bioavailability is 80%. The active ingredient hydroxyzine is distributed throughout the body and mainly accumulates in the tissues.
Hydroxyzine can pass through the placental and blood-brain barrier. As a result, it accumulates in the tissues of the fetus in high concentrations. Also metabolites pass into breast milk.
In the process of hydroxyzine metabolism, cetarisin is predominantly formed, which has the properties of histamine receptor antagonist.
Metabolites of the drug from the body are excreted unchanged in the urine.
It should be borne in mind that in older people, as well as those who suffer from impaired liver and kidney function, an increased concentration of metabolites in the blood is noted during drug treatment. Therefore, to avoid side effects, you need to reduce the dose. How many tablets can be taken should the attending physician determine in this case.
Indications for use
Atarax tablets are prescribed for the treatment of adult patients in the following cases:
- In order to eliminate the manifestations of anxiety, internal stress, psychomotor agitation, high irritability in the treatment of patients with neurological, somatic, mental diseases.
- In chronic alcoholism, as well as to eliminate withdrawal syndrome, which is accompanied by psychomotor agitation.
- As a somatic remedy during sedation.
- As a symptomatic remedy for eliminating pruritus.
Indications for use Atarax determined by the attending physician. As a rule, indications for the use of the drug are available for a variety of skin diseases that are accompanied by severe skin itching.
Do not take Atarax if a person has the following diseases or conditions:
- generic activity;
- breast feeding;
- high sensitivity to the components of the drug;
- high sensitivity to cetirizine, piperazine derivatives, as well as to ethylenediamine or aminophylline.
Due to the fact that the product has lactose, do not take Atarax to those who have hereditary intolerance to galactose, impaired glucose absorption and galactose.
Atarax can provoke the manifestation of side effects due to the effect of the drug on the central nervous system. In particular, sometimes it causes inhibition of functions, paradoxical stimulation, and has an anti-dynamic effect.
- Functions of the cardiovascular system: rarely decreases blood pressure, increases heartbeat.
- Vision functions: reduction of clarity of vision, disturbance of accommodation.
- Functions of the digestive tract: a feeling of dry mouth, rarely – vomiting, nausea, problems with intestinal motility and, as a result, constipation.
- The functions of the immune system: hypersensitivity, rarely can develop anaphylactic shock.
- Functions of the urinary system: rarely delayed urine output.
- Respiratory function: rarely – bronchospasm and asphyxiation.
- Neurological disorders: drowsiness, headache, insomnia, dizziness, rarely – seizures.
- Mental disorders rarely occur: excitement, disorientation, hallucinations are possible.
- Skin: itching, rash, rarely – swelling.
- General disorders: weakness, fever, fatigue.